Thursday, August 27, 2009

Day 78 Radford to Troutville

Today we have completed MAP 11 and we are now on our last map!!! We stopped after 13 miles and ate at the Country Kitchen Restaurant in Christiansburg. The boys practiced some aerodynamic bike moves and we found an apple tree and played a version of apple baseball with a bike pump. Oh the small things in life that you'll never forget!

Rob and I were riding along, side by side, in the back of the pack and talking about god knows what, and Rob screamed out in shock! He said, "You just ran over a lizard and his tail shot off!!" So of course, we made a u turn and took a video of the lizard, well two halves of it. The tail was blue neon and still squirming around. Apparently, a lizard can shoot his tail off as a defense mechanism to distract his predator, and in this case he shot his tail off but got run over twice, once by my front wheel and again by my back tire, poor thing.

We made it to the city park and set up camp under the pavillion. While the boys played a game of basketball and another game of horseshoes, I went across the street to the fire station and asked if I could shower and do some laundry! The guys were really nice and let us all shower there! We decided to BBQ and had a feast for dinner. They cooked me dinner! We had steak and brats and potato salad and coleslaw! We met a women named Carleen who loved all the boys and gave us a few laughs! I somehow lost my shoes, they must have fallen off my bungee, (the 3rd time this has happpened) and so Carleen gave me a pair of her Saucony tennis shoes! What a doll! They were a perfect fit and really comfortable! However, before then, when I walked over to the fire department I wore Marks shoes which were, well you could imagine, huge on me and I looked like a clown, pretty priceless as you could imagine. I definitely received a few funny looks!

Night Night Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment