Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Day 74 Hindman to Breaks

Today we had planned a 65 mile ride, but somehow it turned into 80. Lets just say that if we had planned to ride 80 miles, it would have been fine, but to be on the bike for an additional hour....that can get annoying. Anyways, we finally left Kentucky and made it to our last state, Virginia!!!

In the morning we climbed Pippas Pass as well as 5 other peaks. I think we all agree that one of those peaks was the hardest pass on the ENTIRE map. Although it only lasted for about 2 miles, this was the steepest thing I have ever seen for the longest amount of time. Without stopping, because if I did I wouldn't have been able to get back on my bike, I met Mark and Dan at the top, who both looked like they had just taken showers. My face was about as red as a tomato, possibly even turning into a purple shade, (red onion status).

As we descended into Lookout Valley, I was in the back of the pack, seeing that I only had one working brake at the time, I was taking it as slow as I could. Thats when it happened, a huge black rot weiler put his turbo boost into gear and was inches away from taking a big juicy bite out of my calf. I quickly grabbed my spray bottle full of extreme hot sauce and shot that sucker in between the eyes. While still pedaling as fast as I could, I heard wimpering and right as I turned back to look, the dog was down, he took a faceplant in the grass and I was home free with a heart rate that was off the charts.

Looking back at this moment, I realize I could have seriously injured the dogs sight however, my life was endanger! I really do love dogs but not when they are about to eat me. I consider this act as taking the necessary means to keep my leg, thus it is justified.

So after that additional hour of riding, up and down hills, we found a campsite at Breaks National Park. It was so beautiful!!! We set up our tents and took showers. I took some of the boys clothes to the sinks and began hand washing them, they all called me Cinderella. Thats the thanks I get for washing their dirty clothes. Anyways, come to find out, on our way to the restaurant, they had a laundry room!!! Another hour of my day wasted. After dinner we rode back to our campsite, but this time in the pitch black darkness. It was about a mile ride and we couldnt see a darn thing. Rob was hit in the face with a bat!!!! That had me laughing for a long time!!!!!!!

We went to bed and in the middle of the night, I woke up to a breathing sound right next to my head. I turned my head around to find a raccoon practically in my tent. I was speechless. Literally, I couldn't speak and I really did try. I was terrified! I didnt move and finally fell back asleep.

I can't believe we are in our last state! WOOO-HOO!!!!

Kristen

No comments:

Post a Comment