Thursday, July 9, 2009

Day 42

I think I have officially mastered "hawking a lugee"! Hanging out with all boys I guess pays off for something! However, my two friends maria and bri, have always been pretty good at that! We left Elkcreek Campground, just 15 miles outside of Granby, late morning and began the battle with the wind! However, Clear blue skies and the beautiful Grand Lake to our left were keeping our spirits up! We reached Hot Sulphur Springs about 25 miles into the day to grab some lunch at a hamburger and shake stand! We applied some more sunscreen, met a deep sea fisherman, and said goodbye to our friend John! I called Cynthia Reed, an angel, who is the daughter of some family friends from my church in California! She has a friend, kristen, who offered to let us stay in her condo in Silverthorne for the night! That meant another 65 miles of riding in the wind, but the washing machine, the hot tub, the bed, and the coffee maker were all calling my name! We got back on the road and pedalled into the wind, crosswinds, headwinds, every kind except a tail wind for the next forty miles! I ate some sour patch kids for a quick sugar boost which gave me acid reflex, won't ever do that again! I met some girls In the gas station who were headed west and riding with a big group supporting MS, we exchanged stories and advice and went on our way! It is really neat to meet other people in the world who have shared the same experiencies and are supporting such great causes! We definitely understand how much work goes into planning and making things happen! My friend Fozzie told me that dreams are free, which is true and it takes character, determination, and a lot of passion to make it happen! It simply comes down to how bad you want it, a person's life is only controlled by themselves and anything is truly possible! The wind finally died down with about 25 miles to go, the scenery was delightful but we were exhausted, Mark was seeing spots and asked me for a clif bar, which is extremely odd because he hates power bars! We made it to the grocery store, which is located on top of a hill. We bought $40 worth of groceries, an Italian feast, breakfast, lunch, and snacks! We then found out that the condos were located up another hill....I carried a gallon of milk, a liter of mountain dew, cookies, along with numerous other things up what seemed like a mountain! But it was ALL worth it! So thank you Cynthia and Kristen! We watched a movie, made chocalate chip cookies, slept like champions, and I even gave myself a facial! It is now 2 o'clock and we are moving as slow as molasses because we don't want to leave! We are planning on riding 25 miles today over Hoosier Pass and staying with a friend in Alma tonight! It pays to know nice people! Thanks again everyone for all your love and support!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Did you also make gourmet pasta salad along with the cookies or what? haaa

    ReplyDelete